Michael Orwick Arts


Of Rigor and Reward or why I paint outdoors

“An artist must possess Nature. He must identify himself with her rhythm, by efforts that will prepare the mastery which will later enable him to express himself in his own language.”  Henry Matisse

 

 

Of Rigor and Reward

 

I don't exactly understand why painting in nature affects me so deeply.  It must have something to do with taking time for deeper observation and reflection within the macrocosm.  For just a little while, I move outside of myself, away from the hustle of everyday life. 

When painting outdoors is going well, it is like a meditation or deep prayer, but it can often feel daunting.  Maybe you have felt that paradox, too.

 


Mother Earth does not give up her secrets easily or quickly.  Wouldn't it be easier to simply paint in a comfortable studio, where light is controlled, tools are at hand, and the scope of the scene is already selected?  No rain, no drifting shadows. For me, despite this conundrum, I somehow pluck up the courage to face the test inherent in the task, and I once again pack up my easel, load it into my Honda, and return to nature, undeterred, with my head bowed in reverence, my spirit eager and happy to learn just a little more from the great and demanding Teacher.

 

 

 

Once I arrive, unload the SUV and set up my easel, paints, and brushes, I survey what nature has to offer. Is this a moment of serenity?  No. Nature can fling so much at me that it is difficult to simplify and organize this information overload. As I begin, I ask myself, how can I capture even one small part of the beauty before me?  Then I remind myself of Ralph Waldo Emerson's advice: “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”-and slowly, with much effort, and counting on the struggle to be part of its own reward, I am able to find focus and start a visual correspondence with the scene.

 

Gradually, as I start to paint, the process becomes about me, as the artist, and this place, this time together with my subject, the influence of light, the weather conditions and everything else that is in the air.  It not only includes the wind and bugs, but also the sounds and smells.

 

As Neil Gaiman wrote in The Graveyard Book,  " Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.” Painting in nature forces me to be keenly aware of myself, yet willing to get out of the way, to practice humility and to clear my ego.  It is thus that I may show gratitude while I try in some little way to honor the beauty before me.   And it is then that I experience the freedom in nature, the sky, the trees, the grasses, the piercing light, the mysterious shadows-and it is then that nature becomes part of my own nature. 

Just as Albert Einstein wrote, “Our task must be to free ourselves…by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty,” 

 

 

“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes...Including you."  -  Anne Lamont

 

How do you unplug? 

 

Does being in nature refresh you?

 

 

 

facebook.com/MichaelOrwickArts
https://www.instagram.com/michaelorwick/
Orwick Arts
 
You Are Awesome! 
Copyright © *2020 *Orwick Arts LLC*, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.
 
“I wanted the reward and not the struggle. I wanted the result and not the process. I was in love not with the fight but only the victory. And life doesn't work that way.”

Read Full Post


I'm now teaching in Portland at OSA

I'm now teaching in Portland at the Oregon Society of Artist

Posted: 16 Jan 2014 12:17 PM PST

I'm now teaching in Portland at the

Oregon Society of Artists 


and

For the first time ever, I'll be offering

On going drop in classes



These classes are the 1st, 3rd and 4th Thursday with Free painting demonstrations and talks by different artists on the 2nd Thursday of every month.

http://michaelorwick.com/workshop/8750/on-going-drop-in-classes

Price: $20.00
Location: Oregon Society of Artists
Address:
2185 SW Park Place Portland Oregon 



Suggested supply list 
http://michaelorwick.com/workshop/8756/supply-list

Drop in Painting Class Schedule is Thursdays just $20
Mark your calendar

February
Febuary 6th 9:30 - 12:30 First class at OSA starts! Free cards and prints to the students that make it to the first day!
Febuary 13th starting at 11 am Free painting demonstratons and talks by differnet artists on the 2nd Thursday of every month
Febuary 20th 9:30 - 12:30
Febuary 27th 9:30 - 12:30



Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Website: http://www.oregonsocietyofartists.com/





Michael Orwick

Michael Orwick Arts LLC
www.MichaelOrwick.com
503.329.2167

Facebook

For a quick and easy way to sign up for my news letter
http://mikeo.fineartstudioonline.com/email-newsletter
For additional information on Michael Orwick and to see images of his work ...www.MichaelOrwick.com on Facebook ... http://www.facebook.com/MichaelOrwickArts

Read Full Post


Thinking about taking a painting workshop?

This is a repost of one of my student's blogs about my recent Cannon Beach painting workshop. Posted her with permission, thank you Rick Jasper.

Michael Orwick Teaches Oil Painting Workshop

The small coastal community of Cannon Beach, Oregon was the setting for an oil painting workshop instructed by Michael Orwick. Michael's experience as a landscape painter, combined with his passion for painting, provided for a magical 3-day event.

The students were introduced to three distinct approaches to starting a new piece. Each one focused on developing a strong tonal quality, as well as a balanced composition.

Michael's method of mixing colors from a limited palette, not only simplified the process, but also made it easy to create rich, dramatic and controlled colors.

By applying the solid practical principles laid out in class, each participant made great strides in artistic growth over the three day period.

Michael's enthusiasm was contagious, and the atmosphere of encouragement made the class an added delight.

There was even an opportunity for some “plein air” practice. The bravest among the group set up their easels on the beach, and painted along side Michael, as they attempted to capture the sunset in real time.

During the afternoon session on Saturday, the owner of the Dragonfire Gallery talked to the students about art from the gallery's perspective.

Later that evening, the gallery hosted a special reception for the group with appetizers and wine. This change of venue was a great chance to converse with fellow students on a more personal level. And with the framed paintings done by Michael and other artists hanging throughout the gallery, it was tempting to wonder if maybe one or two of those present might one day have their work hanging in galleries as well.

Sunday was the final day of the workshop. One by one, starting around mid-afternoon, students scrapped the colors from their palettes, said their goodbyes and departed. But no one left empty handed. Each took with them, a more complete understanding of the painting process, as well as a greater visual sensitivity. Students were now armed with a new arsenal of tools to take command of their work with.

I was lucky enough to take part in this workshop. Below are some paintings I did during our sessions. Even though they need some work, I consider each a success, because I learned valuable lessons while working on them, which I can apply to future projects.

Hopefully, with practice, I will progress and improve. I will most likely never see any of my works hanging in a gallery, but I can certainly develop new skills and mature as a painter.

Michael Orwick refers to his painting style as “inspired expressionism”.  By his color choices and purposeful use of light, Michael creates an atmosphere that takes the viewer on a journey to a place somewhere between the familiar and the entrancing. The onlooker is drawn into the painting and is invited to bring it to life by providing details of the story that are left unsaid by brushstrokes. This approach engages the viewer in a way seldom achieved.

If you would like to know more about Michael's paintings or check out future workshops, visit his website at: www.MichaelOrwick.com or stop by the DragonFire Gallery in Cannon Beach.


Read Full Post